Gearing up for High Desert Fishing

I just thought I would throw out a few tips for gearing for your Fly Fishing trip to Northern NM.

You can easily get away with fishing most of our rivers with a 9' 4wt. With the exception of the Rio and the San Juan and to be honest you could use a 4wt there as well. I fished both with a Scott G2 9' 5wt which is kind of like a 4wt in any other rod.

As far as clothing goes I would have full chest waders for the tail waters. Even in the middle of summer the water temps on the San Juan will have you headed for the bank in no time without waders. There are also some deeper pools in those areas.

If you come in the spring or fall also consider that you are in the southern gateway to the Rockies. We fish a lot in the Sangre De Cristo Mtn range which can throw a winter storm at you without warning. I have experienced it more than a few times so come prepared.

Other than that is is a great place to be. We have excellent year round fishing and fairly awesoem scenery...

Comments

I've never fished in NM or AZ. I'm headed that way this spring, any suggestions for fishing around Phoenix?